Saturday, 30 August 2008
Friday, 29 August 2008
I feel honoured, privileged and blessed to be able to witness the happenings during the last four days half-way around the world in Denver, Colorado.
Yes, we can!
I know that a renewed army of believers of all ages, races and religions will be behind them carrying on the battle and actualising the message of hope flowing from Washington to homes, schools and communities from the state of Alabama to the state of Wyoming.
However, in addition, right beside them, flanking them on the left and right, to buoy them along, will be the spirits of Jefferson, Adams, Douglas, Truth, Lincoln, Roosevelt, Kennedy, King, Parks, and all of the great Americans whose journeys gave birth to this journey.
Thursday, 14 August 2008
- I must NEVER lie to myself. The danger of lying to oneself is to lose awareness and insight into one's condition and sink into a situation of such depravity that it will be next to impossible to find the exit.
- I need to be certain of and confident in who I am. Taking offense is a stage in the drama-seeking cycle of the immature and insecure. It is impossible for one who is completely HONEST and SECURE within him/herself to be INSULTED. Nothing anyone says can make such people take offense because they are certain of who they are.
A bien tot.
Monday, 11 August 2008
I am currently going through this pruning process and it is very difficult because I love these friends that I have to let go. However, as in romantic relationships, I have learnt that love is not enough.
The pit-fall in this process is bitterness. I am being very careful not to allow bitterness to creep in because it will nullify all that I desire to achieve. I am trying to take it one step a time however, as a wise friend has highlighted to me, it is more likely to be three steps forward, two steps backwards, but at least I will be making progress :-)
Saturday, 9 August 2008
It is true that it is still not quite clear what organism; viral or bacteria was responsible for his infection. However, from my perception and experience as a medical student, I have always thought of pneumonia as a disease that kills the really young, the really old or the severly immuno-compromised. I do not know what has happened in the case of Bernie Mac, because he had also suffered from sarcoidosis, an immune system disorder (though it is said to have been in regression) but his death is a good time as any to sound the alarm; deaths from bacterial infections are steadily rising!
Bacteria both out-evolve and out-reproduce us; they WILL have the advantage in a face-off battle for survival. I am no prophet of doom but, maybe this is inevitable. The resources on earth cannot sustain the exponential human population growth for much longer; something drastic needs to occur to slow it down. Perhaps this might be it.
I am aware that in the last couple of days my posts have had an even stronger didactic tone than usual. This blog is titled MissITKnows and on first view one might wonder what right I have at the age of 21 to make such an arrogant claim.
However, to those who have remained faithful to reading this blog, I hope that what has become apparent is that my claim to "know" is actually a reflection of an earnest desire to discover deep truths about myself and the world around me through my writing.
I have already discussed in an earlier post how thinking and writing are synonymous activities for me.
Thursday, 7 August 2008
I hate Times Square.
Tuesday, 5 August 2008
- I do not guage the lack of response to this post as an indication of lack of care about this issue rather I am going to interprete it to mean that this topic is too far removed from the day to day existence of the readers to cause a response and that is fair enough.
Monday, 4 August 2008
In his frustration, he turned to us and said, "Enough about the Brigerians, already!" This resulted in serious laughter from myself, my sister and other passengers on the bus and since then the phrase has stuck.
SO there you have it, the Brigerian phrase was coined by an African-American. How ironic...
I wrote it after a long day in class and an even longer commute home. I was just really glad to be home and writing this list seemed to encapsulate that mindset. Consequently, while this might not be my best piece of writing, it is still my writing. Furthermore, I am truly grateful that I am richly blessed to enjoy these simple pleasures in life and soo much more.
- The first cooling breeze of the air-conditioner when you get home after a long day in the sun.
- A stop where the carriage empties during rush hour.
- Your first bite into that burger or schwarma after a great night out!
- A shower.
- Finding a 20 pound note/dollar bill in a bag you barely carry.
- The first sip of a glass of cold water.
- A baby's smile directed at you.
- Randomly bumping into an old, dear friend with whom you did not mean to lose contact.
- His first text/call following the introductory meeting.
- A great night in with the girls filled with uncontrollable laughter!
Sunday, 3 August 2008
Saturday, 2 August 2008
Deal with low self-esteem and you will eradicate the green-eyed monster that lurks beneath.
There is a monster in us all. Whether it be green-eyed(envy), red-eyed(anger) or blue-eyed(lust). In times of provocation, humiliation, boredom and dissatifaction, it tends to rear its ugly head.
Maturity = controlling the monster.
For those of you who are victims of the green-eyed monster -which is the most commonly observed amongst women- I know its hard to accept but, in a twisted way it is actually a compliment.
It is understandable that you might feel that the perpetrators deserve nothing from you however, you WILL be the better person if you show them sympathy and understanding instead of vengeful animosity.
Remember, there is a monster in us all.
This is another one of life's more obvious mysteries.
PS This is VERY important: Ladies, RUN AWAY from a man who cannot control his red-eyed monster; he is a LOSER and a LIABILITY... YOU are way to GOOD for that!
Friday, 1 August 2008
- PS If you watch the movie look out for Casey Affleck; he was also AMAZING in his role. He is a far superior actor to his brother.